What will this treatment help?
- Build collagen
- Smooth fine lines and may help fill in pitting or areas lacking structure
- Smooth acne scars
- Stimulate growth factors
- Naso-labial lines and smokers lines
- Rejuvenation of hands, neck, and décolletage
- Smooth out stretch marks
When is skin needling treatment not suitable?
- The treatment should not be performed within 2 weeks of having an injectable dermal filler or Botox.
- The treatment is never performed on raised moles, warts or lesions.
- During pregnancy (when breastfeeding the treatment is allowed)
- While taking certain medications (some medication may reduce healing time, please advise your therapist on anything you may be taking)
- The treatment will not be performed if the client has an active herpes or acne breakout. However, once resolved the treatment can go ahead after 2 weeks.
- Certain medical conditions (i.e. diabetes) need a medical certificate.
What is the downtime?
After the procedure, the skin will be red and flushed in appearance in a similar way to moderate sunburn. You may also experience skin tightness and mild sensitivity to touch on the area being treated. Total healing time depends on the severity of the damaged skin and the depth of the repair process required. On average, patients are pink for two to four days. Some patients heal completely in 24 hours.
When will I see results?
Most people notice healthier looking skin immediately. The natural repair process of the skin continues to progress over the course of several weeks. Dermal collagen remodeling takes place over time and it will continue to improve for up to 6 months after treatment.
How many treatments will I need?
The number of treatments required will vary from patient to patient and your provider will personalize a treatment plan based on the level of improvement you desire. Although one treatment is beneficial, a series of treatments is usually recommended. Multiple treatments (3-6) may be necessary over 4-8 week intervals. After your initial treatment series, periodic maintenance may be advised (depending upon condition(s) treated).
- Avoid Vitamin E, fish oils and Ginko Biloba for one week prior to treatment.
- Avoid ASA 2 weeks before treatment. (Please consult with your physician first if you are on ASA)
- For patients that bruise easily, it is advised to consider taking Arnica 1-2 days prior to each skin needling session and 2-3 days post procedure.
- Avoid anti-histamine and inflammatory drugs one week prior to treatment. These negate the effects of the procedure. The body’s histamine and inflammatory responses are needed post-procedure.
- Stop topical retinoids one week prior to treatment.
- If possible, avoid scheduling treatment if you are menstruating, as you are more sensitive during this time.
- If using Accutane®, a 3-month waiting period after discontinuation of medication is required.
- Please notify us if you have ever been diagnosed with Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) – you may require prophylactic therapy starting 2 days before treatment.
- Please eat a meal and drink water prior to your treatment.
Patient denies today: active cold sores, herpes simplex, or warts in the area to be treated, open sores, sunburned,or excessively sensitive skin within the application area, pregnancy, dermatitis or inflammatory rosacea within the application area.
What to Expect DURING your Treatment:
- A numbing cream will be applied to your face for 10-15 minutes.
- Numbing cream is removed and the face is cleaned and prepped.
- Ginseng is topically applied and you will feel a vibration as the procedure starts. We use either Benzocaine/Lidocaine/Tetracaine topical numbing agent which makes this a painless procedure.
- Immediate pinpoint bleeding may occur, which will resolve within 10 minutes.
- Immediately after your treatment, you will look as though you have a moderate to severe sunburn and your skin may feel warm and tighter than usual. This is normal and will subside after 1 to 2 hours and will normally diminish within the same day or 24 hours. You may see slight redness after 24 hours but only in minimal areas or spots.
- You will be given a post-treatment instructions.
We recommend follow-up and repeat treatments in 4 weeks and for best results a series of 3 – 5 treatments.